How Much Can a 2021 Ford Explorer Tow?
The 2021 Ford Explorer is one of the Fond Du Lac area’s most popular SUVs, but is it capable? Sure is! How much can a 2021 Explorer tow? The new 2021 Ford Explorer not only boasts the ability to seat up to seven passengers and accommodate tons of cargo, but it also can tow up to 5,600 pounds when properly equipped! Not looking for maximum towing specs, but rather, a balanced blend of towing capability and high-efficiency? There’s even an Explorer Hybrid available. Learn more now with Holiday Ford, then contact us if you have any other questions!
2021 Ford Explorer Towing Capacity by the Engine
The Ford Explorer was re-engineered for the 2020 model year, and that retooling brought along with it came new powertrain choices. The 2021 model benefits from these same options. Check them out below to see just how much power and towing capability you could be enjoying on Oshkosh and Sheboygan roads from behind the wheel of a new 2021 Explorer:
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder:With 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, this engine helps the Explorer to tow up to 5,300 pounds when properly equipped.
- 3.0L EcoBoost® V6: Thanks to a 10-speed automatic transmission, twin turbochargers, and direct injection, the 3.0L Explorer engine makes up to 365 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque on Platinum trims. The same engine on ST trims gets re-tuned for up to 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque of fun in West Bend and Ripon. When powered by this V6, the Explorer can tow up to 5,600 pounds.
- 3.3L Hybrid: Despite its fuel-efficient capabilities, the Explorer’s hybrid powertrain still allows Oshkosh-area drivers to tow up to 5,000 pounds around Beaver Dam and beyond.
Ford Explorer Towing Features
The Ford Explorer is so much more than just an SUV of brute force. It’s complex, layered, and nuanced. It has many sides. If you prefer a hybrid, you can get one for improved fuel efficiency. But even tough, athletic ST models equipped with the 400 horsepower engine have plenty of luxuries to offer like, leather seating, a panoramic moonroof, and niceties like heated seats. Of course, the Explorer is also inherently practical, boasting available features such as:
- Rear-wheel drive: Not only does the new-for-2020 drivetrain give the 2021 Explorer a sportier look, but it also improves driving capabilities and towing capacity by 600 pounds compared to previous-generation Explorer models.
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Switch between Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes for increased control on Beaver Dam roads of all types.
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ monitors yaw and roll rates using gyroscopic sensors, and helps retain control in the event of wheel-slip, understeer, or oversteer. It also includes Curve Control, which slows the Explorer’s speed during tight cornering.
- Towing and Trailer Sway Control: This system brakes selectively and adjusts engine power to ensure trailer control and stability.
- Sidewind Stabilization: This program counteracts strong winds, keeping you in control rather than having to fight the wind while traveling around Fond Du Lac.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: Equip your Ford Explorer with this package for maximum towing capabilities. It has 2.3L EcoBoost® and 3.3L hybrid engines, but it comes standard with the 3.0L EcoBoost® engine.
Experience the Ford Explorer at Holiday Ford!
Now that you’ve had a chance to research the new Ford Explorer towing capacity on paper, we invite you to experience the many amenities this Ford SUV has to offer in-person on a test drive. Ready? Schedule your test drive now by giving us a call at (920) 843-5137. Meanwhile, you can take advantage of our current new Ford lease specials or check out how much your trade is worth from the comfort of your home.